After Nursery, your child will transition into reception and full time education in the main academy. Children in the Reception department have carefully planned lessons that continue to be based around the seven areas of learning and development. These are divided into prime areas (Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development and Communication and Language) and specific areas (Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design). In addition to our classrooms we take full advantage of the range of outdoor areas and facilities that we in the reception department have available to us.
All children will follow our Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) programme in order to develop their learning and improve their reading, writing and numeracy skills.
Reception are learning all about pets and how to look after animals. We are learning everything we need would need to look after our pet and how we would need to care for them. We will be visiting ‘Pets at Home’ and Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary to find out more.
You can view the various different topics that children in the Kentmere Academy Nursery will be studying by clicking on the links below:
It is very important that you and your child work on their studying at home. This helps them to develop and improve. It would be really helpful if you would help your child practice these things at home:
- Counting forwards and backwards from different numbers
- Recognising numbers and ordering numbers to 20
- Finding the answer to simple addition and subtraction calculations
- Reading every night and reading bedtime stories together
- Reading simple sentences and talking about what they have read
- Writing simple sentences.
- Please make sure your child has a coat in school every day as the weather can soon change.
- During the summer months can you please make sure your child is prepared for the sunny weather – sun cream applied at home and a sun hat sent into school clearly marked with their name.
- Please can all parents make sure their child’s clothes and shoes have their child’s name written on them please.
- Polite Reminder – the children in our class enjoy using our outdoor area and equipment, so please be respectful and when waiting for you child at the end of the day please do not touch our equipment.
- We value the support and contributions made by all our parents. We invite parents in each Friday to come and celebrate their child’s achievements and look through their learning journey having the opportunity to comment on the their child’s successes.