Welcome to the Kentmere Academy, Year 1/2 page. As our children move from the Kentmere Academy Early Years in to Year 1 and 2, they will begin to experience an increase in academic expectations and support.
Year 1/2 classes are a combination of students from Year 1 and Year 2. This year, the classes have been mixed in order to both support students and encourage those students who are advancing quickly. The results have been successful with reduced class sizes, an improved working relation between teachers and students and academic progress in key areas. Kentmere Academy follows the Cornerstone Education Curriculum. To learn more about Cornerstone Education visit the website here.
The class teachers in Year 1/2 are:
Mrs Howard (KS1 Manager / Deputy Headteacher)
Mrs Heginbotham and Mrs Sinfield
Mrs Dempsey and Mrs Carney
This term our topic is Rio De Vida. We are going to be learning lots about Rainforests, focusing on their climate and the different animals. We will be locating different rainforests around the world in geography and we will use a globe and atlas.
In science we will be learning about plants and animals and completing our own investigations focusing on making predictions and fair testing.
In art we will be designing and making our own carnival masks to be used in our celebratory party. In music we will be making and playing our own percussion instruments.
To view our curriculum overview for this term please click here.
You can view all the curriculum topics that Year 1/2 classes will be studying by clicking on the links below:
It is very important that you and your child work on their studying at home. This helps them to develop and improve. It would be really helpful if you would help your child practice these things at home:
- Counting forwards and backwards
- Reading every night
- Complete our learning log and hand this in on time, ready for the next challenge
- Practise addition and subtraction calculations
- Reading and writing simple sentences
- Awards: In Year 1/2 each day an award is given for the pupil who has shown a huge effort. This is recognised by the ‘Star of the Day award. Children who show kindness towards others are recognised on the ‘Kindness Tree’. Family points are awarded for helpfulness and kindness. Merits are awarded for good work.
- Reading books: Children should read at home every day. Please sign your child’s reading record when they have read so they can receive extra merits and progress further in their reading.
- Homework: On a Friday, spellings will be given out and we expect these to have been completed for the test on the following Friday. Additional English and maths work will be sent home to practise what they have been doing in class; this will be sent home on alternate weeks to the Learning Log.
- Learning Logs: Children are given learning challenges every two weeks on a Friday. Learning Logs should be returned to school by the Thursday before the new challenge is due. The challenges focus on different areas of the curriculum that your child is learning about in that half term. There are three possible activities and children can choose one of these to complete. They vary in difficulty and are graded bronze, silver and gold.
- Pe Kit: Children must have their PE kits in school at all times. Indoor PE kit includes: White T-shirt, Black shorts (Black leggings for girls) and Black pumps. No trainers or tracksuits. Outdoor kit requires warmer clothing and trainers. For more information see the uniform page on this website.